Thursday, May 13, 2004

Rainy days and Thursdays?

I consider myself to be a relatively intelligent guy. I also consider myself to be pretty easy going and insensitive. In a good way. What I mean is that I don't let much really get to me, especially things that are just not that important, like stuff for example. By stuff I mean things. Belongings. You know, that stuff you fill your house with, only to complain that you have too much stuff. And so you go and buy more stuff to organize or even dispose of your stuff. Now a lot of people would not mind having the problem of "too much stuff," and I can understand that. But at the same time, stuff really isn't all that important, is it? I can't provide attribution for this, but I heard a really good quote the other day: "He who dies with most toys wins...but he still dies." When it comes right down to it, why is stuff important? Largely because stuff provides us with some sort of value, be it entertainment, safety, esteem, convenience or anything else that you value. And all of these have one thing in common: experience. I think few would argue that life can be measured by the experiences we have. Stuff is seen as a surrogate for experience under the idea that more stuff will provide enhanced experiences. And to a certain extent I agree. But honestly, does a $2000 kitchen table really provide that much better an experience than a $200 kitchen table? Does it make my life better in any meaningful way? I mean other than keeping my wife happy, which itself is of immeasurable value. What I am saying is that I have a hard time spending money on things that do not accomplish one of the following goals: 1) provide a direct experience, 2) make attainment of other experiences easier or more likely, or 3) satisfy some physiological need. Now that I have committed that into type, I am sure that I am leaving some important category out, but at the end of the day (or life) what we have is memories of experiences. What about personal relationships, you ask? When decomposed into the value that they provide, I think you will see that relationships provide direct experiences, and so spending money on relationship maintenance is perfectly acceptable. What about "doing good" through charitable donations or other forms of service to those unknown to you. While I certainly have no moral objection to charity, I personally do not engage in such behavior. Although one could suggest that giving to charity provides a direct experience because it makes you feel good. Whatever floats your boat I say.

Until next time, Hershberger...out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home